Trending News| Entertainment| Sport| Lifestyle| Inspiration| Events| Education| Technology| Politics
Tuesday, 25 December 2012
Jollof Rice with Dodo
Nutritional Data (per 100g serving)
Vitamins: A, C, E
Minerals: Iron, Calcium
Notes:The addition of oil or butter will significantly increase calorie count for this dish.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2-3 people
350g easy cook rice
1 large just ripe plantain
2 chicken thigh quarters
½ can of plum tomatoes
½ tablespoon tomato paste
1 sprig of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon freshly milled or ground nutmeg
2 cups chicken stock
1 medium size onion
2 seasoning cubes
½ scotch bonnet (yellow). Remove stalk & seeds, finely chop (optional)
2 large sweet red pepper. Remove stalk & seeds
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 serving spoon vegetable oil
1. Blend the tomatoes, sweet peppers and onion together. Pour blend in a large pot, then add the scotch bonnet, thyme, curry powder and chicken stock. Also add 350ml of water. Bring to the boil. Stirring slowly, add tomato puree and allow to boil for another 5 minutes under high heat.
2. Turn heat down, slowly introduce rice and stir in. Add some hot water enough to cook the rice, cover pot first with a sheet of foil paper and then with the pot lid. Allow to steam for about 10 minutes.
3. Open pot and check if rice is cooked. Add more hot water if required. When all water/moisture has evaporated, gently stir rice avoiding scraping the bottom of the pot, also avoid overcooking rice.
4. Crush and sprinkle seasoning cubes, stir well to distribute seasoning, then taste for salt, (use more or less seasoning cube depending on preference). Add butter and mix well. Also add a serving spoon of vegetable oil to give the desirable glister.
5. To make the chicken, coat chicken quarters with suya spice, salt and pepper. Brush with some vegetable oil and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes (depending on size of chicken).
6. Peel plantain and slice across its width. Deep fry for about 10 minutes. Drain excess oil and serve with rice and chicken.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment